Ostomy Awareness Day: Lisa's story

Name: Lisa Cummins
Age: 29
Location: Dublin


I have indeterminate Crohn's disease, a form of Inflammatory Bowel Disease. I was diagnosed in 2004. May last year, I developed a perianal abscess and a rectal vaginal fistula, i had lost 2stone in six months. I knew something wasn’t right.
I had a check up with my team and I was admitted on the spot. I had numerous amount tests done and I was given an NG tube, as my body wasn’t absorbing the nutrients from the food I was eating.

3 weeks later it’s now June, I’m still in hospital, my doctor came to see me and told me they wanted me to see a colorectal surgeon, that I needed a stoma bag. My heart sank and tears ran down my face, couldn’t believe it.

All that ran through my head was why me? I was blaming myself for all of this, Why is this happening to me? I was told this wasn’t any of my fault and these things happen.

I was marked for my bag by a stoma nurse a few days later and brought down for surgery the next day. I cried As I was wheeled down to theatre and said goodbye to my parents.

I woke up back on the ward a few hours later. I know after you wake up and look down and see this thing stuck to you and your heart just sinks and you can't stop the tears. I Was in hospital for 10 days after surgery. But a total of 5 weeks over all.

I was so nervous now I was home, it took me a while to get used to changing it myself, how to dress with it and learning different things about it. I adapted really quick to it, I think from the support from family and friends, and friends who had bags too, helped a lot.

I’m now 15 months post op. My bag has saved my life, my weight has gone back up, last year I was 7 stone and now I weigh 9stone.

I've decided I want to keep my bag. I know there will be more surgery further down the line to make my bag permanent. But it's what I want and I know I can do it, I've come this far.
For me the pros outweigh the cons,  For others it may be different. But I know it's the right choice for me.


Im 30 this year and after 12 years of this illness dictating my life, I'm taking control now, I'm keeping my bag for a better quality of life, I'm doing this for my future.

I want to be able to enjoy my life with my partner, he also has Crohn's disease and he's been my rock throughout all of this. Even though having this illness is hard, it's the only positive thing to come out of it.

I feel more confident in myself now than I did before my operation. I know it took a few months after my op but I did it with the help of my loved ones.
I've had bad anxiety for years and always looking for bathrooms. I used to avoid going out, I always soiled myself too. I don't want to go back to all that again, My bag has helped me.


I'm apart of a support group on Facebook called #IBDSuperheroes which I help admin. They are an amazing campaign that helps raise awareness about this illness and helps people like me, I no longer feel alone. My life has changed so much for the better since having my bag.

Comments