Your IBD Stories - Lisa Cummins



Name: 

Lisa Cummins 

What year were you diagnosed and with which form of IBD?
I was diagnosed with ulcerative colitis in 2004 when I was 18. 

Have you identified anything that triggers you, and if so what? 
I find anything spicy, creamy and some alcohol. 

Highlight an invisible symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease which you feel affects you: 
fatigue for me is difficult as you struggle doing the smallest of things and it's hard to explain to people how you feel as its a different type of tiredness. 

Name one thing you feel like you’ve learnt or gained since having Inflammatory Bowel Disease:
Over the 10 years I've been through some hard times which I didn't think I'd be able to deal with 
( had loop ileostomy June 2015) so I've learnt how strong a person I've become since my diagnosis. I've gained a huge understanding of it all and learnt a lot about my Illness over the years and from support groups. 

What makes you an #IBDSuperHero? 
After being at my lowest point last year (2015) when I was hospitalised for 5 weeks, I found that time one of the toughest in all the years I've had this illness. I had a huge operation and was away from my family. It was a big change for me, both mentally and physically. It knocked me down but I dusted myself off and got back up and here to fight another day. 

But 11 months post op i feel like a part of me before my illness has come back. I'm more out going and able to do things without worrying about accidents, or looking for a bathroom. 


My bag gave me my life back!!

Comments