Your IBD Stories - Stephen Gomm


Name:
By day I am the mild mannered Stephen, at night I become the man of Steel. Superman. 

What year were you diagnosed and with which form of IBD?
I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 2008.

Have you identified anything that triggers you, and if so what?
The main thing that triggers my IBD is food. Over the years my fruit and vegetable in take has decreased as my stomach has grown less acceptable, especially anything green. I recently had to give up baked beans, sad moment. 
Having IBS as well doesn't help. 

Highlight an invisible symptom of Inflammatory Bowel Disease which you feel affects you: 
The invisible symptom of IBD that affects me the most is fatigue. Waking up every morning feeling like you haven't been asleep. Getting halfway through a working day, hitting a Brick wall and feeling like you need to take a nap. So tired that brain fog sets in, you struggle to remember your own name or what you did five minutes ago. Spending the whole weekend recovering from a working week. Doing something for an hour and then spending the rest of the day recovering. Fatigue is a bitch. 

Name one thing you feel like you’ve learnt or gained since having Inflammatory Bowel Disease:
The main thing I have gained from IBD, apart from an incredible new #family, is compassion. Having a Chronic illness has made me more aware of what other people go through in their lives, made me less judgemental and a more caring person. 

What makes you an #IBDSuperHero? 
Am I an #IBDSuperHero? That's not for me to judge. There are so many people who have been through a lot more than me and who are truly inspirational. All I can do is help raise as much awareness as possible, support others when I can. The IBD community is full of amazing, friendly people. Together we will make a difference, together we will find a cure. 


Comments